Some of the most common questions I’m asked are about sponsorship, namely:
- Any tips for raising money for charity ?
- How to get sponsors to help you with kit and costs ?
Below is my personal opinion, based on what I’ve learned from people a lot more successful than me !
Tips for raising money for charity
- Involve people, get them excited about your project !
- Update friends and family regularly – how is training going ? What’s going well, what are you going through ?
- Use Facebook, twitter, and a blog/website to share your story.
- JustGiving, or other similar sites make it easy to donate, and people can Gift Aid donations.
- Thank people for their generosity wherever possible.
- Consider a raffle/auction, or another event – find some great prizes and you are away.
- Make sure you get plenty photos of the event itself, and share them.
- Speak to your chosen charity – what are their top tips for fundraisers ? Can they offer you any advice ?
How to get sponsors to help you with kit and costs ?
- Rather than asking directly for kit, or money, ask companies or friends if they know anyone that could help. People are usually proud of their contacts.
- Think what you can offer the company. It’s got to be for mutual benefit, otherwise expect a “No thanks”. Be specific about what you can offer them.
- Let people know what you’ve done previously, and what companies have got out of it in the past.
- Be realistic – ask for something you need, and that the company could give you.
- It sounds obvious but if sending request by letter or email, put the important bit at the front, and make it as short as possible. 250 words max.
- Get a website, and give your sponsors a plug on this, or via social media (ie: a Facebook page), and keep them updated.
- Work out which companies have sponsored similar ventures before, and try them!
- Pick your event wisely – the more profile the event has, the more chance of success.
Thank you for visiting my sponsors page.